Our Curriculum Intent
Maths curriculum aims:
- Become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics through varied and frequent practice with complexity increasing over time.
- Develop conceptual understanding and ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately.
- Reason mathematically, develop justification and proof by using mathematical language.
- Problem solve by applying knowledge to a variety of routine and non-routine problems.Breaking down problems into simpler steps and persevering in answering.
How is our Maths curriculum planned?
Our mathematics curriculum is challenging for all pupils and aligned with end of year curricular expectations. Teachers use the White Rose to support them in breaking down the mathematics curriculum so that they can plan for units of work in a manageable way. Topics are revisited throughout the year (see Curriculum Overviews) to help develop mastery of knowledge.
Ongoing assessments have been used to help assess whether children are in a place to access learning aligned with the end of year expectations. Pupils, who need it, are given the chance to practise and consolidate learning objectives. There are opportunities for mental and oral rehearsal alongside concrete (pencil and paper) activities. Pupils who have attained learning objectives are given tasks to deepen their understanding, giving particular attention to reasoning and thinking. Activities are planned for pupils working at greater depth to work at a ‘deeper’ level. These are designed to deepen understanding of the end of year expectation rather than move pupils on to learning from subsequent years.
Please see links below to specific information:
- Click Here for Maths Overview.
- Click Here for Progression Framework
- Click Here for NC Documents (Ks1 and Ks2)
- Click Here for Early Years Foundation Stage Framework
- Click for Mathematics Calculation Policy
List of websites to support home learning:
Our school has paid for a subscription to the following site:
(your child will need to log-in using the details provided by their teacher)