History of St. Mary's
Our school officially opened on the 24th February 1895. It was founded from the church of Our Lady of Lourdes and St. Michael (established by Fr. Wren), which was opened three years previously. The foundation stone, that was laid in June 1894, (now to be found inside our Early Years entrance) reveals the name of our benefactor who made the building of St. Mary's possible: the Honourable Mrs Harriet Georgina Le Poer Trench (1840 - 1909).
The original building consisted of two classrooms - a main room to accommodate fifty two older children, and an infants room to house thirty six pupils. However, there was no overcrowding during the opening week, when the highest daily attendance recorded was fifteen! There has been substantial building development since this time and we now have over 210 pupils (plus our Nursery children).
St. Mary's Celebrates It's 125th Anniversary
On the 24th February 2020, our school celebrated it's 125th Anniversary.
To mark this very special occasion - the following activities took place in school -
- We held a St. Mary's 1895 day in school: All pupils (and staff) came to school wearing traditional Victorian clothes.
- Each class was transformed into a Victorian classroom and pupils were taught the 3rs.
- Father Wren (Fr. Nicholas in costume), visited school with Angela to inspect our teaching (and the state of pupils' hands and nails)!
- The whole school celebrated Mass together.
- All pupils were given a piece of cake (it wouldn't have been a birthday celebration without)!